INCI means ( International Nomenclature Cosmetic Ingredient), International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients.
It is the mandatory list of ingredients that every cosmetic product must have.
Through this list we can find out what ingredients our cosmetics are composed of, their origin, what level of toxicity they have and in what proportion.
Knowing and understanding its composition is a way of TAKE CARE of ourselves and our environment, knowing what we are exposing ourselves to when choosing our cosmetic products.
Now, how can we interpret it and use it to our advantage?
Issues to consider
- The name of these ingredients is in English, and in Latin, in the case of plants according to the genus and species.
- Their order is from highest to lowest according to the percentages of presence in the formulation. Therefore, the first ingredient on the list will be the one with the highest concentration in the product.
- Organic ingredients are distinguished with an asterisk * and ** with two asterisks if the ingredient is a substance generated naturally in the process of obtaining organic essential oils.
- There are different certifications that guarantee if it is a natural, ecological and / or vegan product. These certifications must be displayed on the containers along with the INCI list.
What are the ingredients that we should avoid when choosing a cosmetic product?
These ingredients are those that are considered harmful to health and the environment. Knowing them and knowing in what proportion they are in our products will give us the necessary criteria when choosing a healthy and environmentally friendly cosmetic.
- PARABENS : they are preservatives derived mostly from petroleum and very cheap, they are found in many cosmetic products and although it is not a prohibited ingredient, the addition of this component to our daily routine can affect us negatively. We can easily detect them with names ending in "ben" such as methylparaben, propylparaben, ... etc ".
- SULPHATES: Surfactant compounds, widely used for their excellent foaming power and high detergent capacity. These are perfectly valid and safe ingredients, but in recent years their use has been declining in favor of other milder surfactants for both the hair fiber and the scalp, since these dry out the hair a lot, and here is what interests us , precisely, is to gain hydration so that the curl is flexible and does not frizz. You will recognize them under names like Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLES), Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) as well as any others ending in -ATE.
- SILICONES: They make the hair look silky and shiny. However, in the long term, what it does is "drown" the hair, since it sticks and does not allow it to breathe properly. There are two types, the soluble ones, which are removed when washing the hair, and therefore are accepted in the method (Hydrolyzed wheat protein/Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane, Dimethicone Copolyol, PEG-Dimethicone, Lauryl Methicone Copolyol, Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18 and Methicone) and non-solubles, which accumulate and require the use of a sulfate shampoo to remove them. Non-soluble silicones are often identified under these names: Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Stearoxy Dimethicone, Stearyl Dimethicone, Phenyl trimethicone and Trimethylsillamodimethicone, Amodimethicone , Behenoxy Dimethicone, Bis-aminopropyl dimethicone, Cetearyl methicone, Cetyl Dimethicone and Cyclopentasiloxane.
- ALCOHOLS: We have the short-chain ones (Alcohol Denat, Isopropyl Alcohol, Isopropanol Alcohol, Ethanol Alcohol, Ethyl Alcohol, Propanol Alcohol, or Benzyl Alcohol), which dries the hair a lot and, therefore, are discarded, and the long-chain ones, which in instead are moisturizers (Lauryl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol and Stearyl Alcohol).
- WAXES: Although some products from firms categorized as compatible with the Curly Method contain them (you will find them mainly with beeswax or Beeswax), they tend to accumulate in the hair, so, in our opinion, you should not abuse them .
Now yes, with all this information we are already in a position to be able to consciously choose our cosmetic routine.
That we be the ones who decide what we consume
Keymes Cosmetics invites you to choose a conscious self-care routine, to start implementing healthy habits, to respect the environment and together to be part of the change!